Qualifying for a Green Card

I was born and raised in the Rio Grande Valley. I’ve always been a citizen of the United States. The friends I grew up with would sometimes mention that they just got their green card, or that their parents had just received their green card. I never paid too much attention to this, but as I’ve grown up and become more aware of the geopolitical environment I’ve realized that getting a green card is a big deal. You have to meet certain qualifications and you also have to go through an incredibly lengthy process. For many of my friends growing up, they were not native English speakers and they were unfamiliar with the legal systems in the United States. This made the process stressful and scary for them and their parents alike. I wanted to see if there was anyone who worked to help these people, and I found out about the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC. The attorneys at this firm work to help people get their green cards by walking them through the application process and making sure that no mistakes are made while filling out paperwork. The United States Department of Homeland Security takes green cards very seriously, and an honest mistake could end up costing you the ability to ever get a green card.

There are several different ways that you can be qualified for a green card. You only have to fit into one of these categories to begin the process for a green card and eventually citizenship.

You can get a green card through family relation. If you are the child of a U.S. citizen, the parent of a citizen that is over 21 years old, or married to a U.S. citizen, then you’re qualified. This also extends out a bit. If your brother or sister over 21 is a citizen or if your son- or daughter-in-law is a citizen, you may apply.

Another popular way that people become U.S. citizens is through employment. There are actually three preference levels delineated by the government. First preference level will grant more likely access to a green card. First preference immigration workers are defined as: having keen ability in education, business, arts, sciences, are an established researcher or professor, are an executive or multinational manager that meets certain other criteria. Second preference immigration workers are people that: are of a profession that requires an advanced degree, have great ability in business, arts or sciences, or are applying for a national interest waiver. The third preference level is for people that: are a professional, which means that their job requires a U.S. bachelor’s degree or an overseas equivalent, or are a skilled worker, which means that your job has a minimum requirement of 2 years training or experience.

There are many other ways to meet the qualifications to obtain a green card, but these are by far the most popular. If you’re thinking about applying, I would definitely do research to see how you may be qualified. If you feel that you may be unqualified, try reaching out to an attorney! They know the law in and out, and they can work to find a place for you in this country.